TEEN (13 – 17) TREATMENT PROGRAMS
Realization Center offers several treatment planning options for teens. We offer separate outpatient services that include supportive therapy groups, alcohol and drug education, relapse prevention, anger and stress management. The clinical staff at Realization Center is especially skilled in providing treatment for the unique needs of teens and their families.
The developmental needs of teens and young adults represent a special challenge to addiction treatment providers. There is a quest to separate from their parents, join with peers and create a self definition to the teen and young adult years. However, when this process becomes interrupted by the use of alcohol and drugs, development of a healthy sense of self is arrested. Adolescence can be a time of confusion, frustration and fear for many teens. At Realization Center, the professional caring staff will help teens cope with these feelings in a safe, supportive setting.
Our after school program consists of therapy, recreation, alcohol and drug education, homework assignments and skills management training. They will learn new coping skills to handle peer pressure and develop more appropriate ways to express anger. Through positive reinforcement, limit setting, role play and education, teens get the support they need to navigate this tricky road to adulthood. Believing that recovery affects the entire family, participating in the Family Support Group for parents and caregivers is strongly encouraged.
Young people can and do get sober every day. Hundreds of young people find freedom from addiction every year at Realization Center. Families find help and support at Realization Center too.
Families play a major role at Realization Center. Along with peers and school, families are the program’s partners, and all pull together to put teens back on the path to healthy physical and emotional development.
Families meet at least once a week with the teens in a group setting conducted by trained professionals. Family counseling is also available.
Trained professionals work with families to help to establish guidelines for healthy and appropriate communication and interaction. They help to provide families with education about recovery and relapse prevention.
Realization Center assists the family in shifting the focus from the teen in order to evaluate and promote change within the family as a system.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF TEEN SUBSTANCE ABUSE
- Addictive problems such as alcohol and drug abuse, food addictions, gambling, etc.,
- Adult Children of Alcoholics
- Problems with authority
- Behavior problems such as negative attention seeking, aggressive behavior, stealing, lying, fighting, hitting
- Dangerous risk taking, sexual acting out, self mutilation
- Chronic school problems, underachievement, learning difficulties, anxiety
- Excessive fears, worries, sadness, daydreaming, boredom, shyness
- Social isolation and low self-esteem
- Coping with divorce in the family, illness, loss and other major stressors
- Sudden and sustained emotional changes
- A pattern of changes in school attendance and grades
- Several instances of unaccountable money or unexplained loss of money
- Dramatic changes in friendships
- Uncharacteristic changes in mood or personality
- Drugs missing from the medicine cabinet
- Physical clues such as deterioration in appearance, track marks, changes in weight, etc.
13-17 years of age, assessed as primarily gateway drug abuser with experimentation. Family involvement.
This is a core early recovery program for teens. This program will include psycho-education around basic addiction, recovery and relapse prevention concepts. It will also explore issues around individuation and separation from family and the behavioral influences of peer family groups. Random drug testing is provided. Note: Parent/Guardian involvement in Family Group is required.